* Places at request * Discovering West Greenland. This journey will take you on an exploration of the world’s largest island. 80% of Greenland is permanently covered in ice, making it an exotic place to visit for true adventurers. Board the Tecla in the largest town of Nuuk and set sail north to Illulissat. Along the way there will be a lot to explore: old settlements, former whaling stations; remote bays, fjords and glaciers. Don’t forget your hiking boots and the camera! After 10 days on board you will disembark in Illulissat, a busy fishing port and home to about 4,000 people and… 5,000 sled dogs! Open for all Windseekers, minimum age 15 years.
Nuuk is the capital of Greenland and, with over 17,000 inhabitants its largest city. The earliest settlements date back to 2200 BC. In the 10th century Nuuk was inhabited by the Vikings and shortly after by Innuit people. Visit the Greenland National Museum and Archives, Katuaq Cultural Centre, Nuuk Art Museum and the Cathedral, and enjoy strolling around town and taking in its unique architecture.
Illulissat is a large fishing port in Western Greenland. The beauty of the surrounding nature has made Illulissat one of the top tourist destinations in Greenland; for example the Ilulissat Icefjord is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the Ilulissat Museum for a deeper look into the local history and culture and enjoy spending time 350 km north of the Arctic Circle.
Dates: 20 July 2021 - 30 July 2021
Embarkation: 18:00 / Disembarkation: 10:00
For Windseekers of all ages, minimum age 15 years
Windseekers joining: maximum 16
No sailing experience required!
Official language on board: English
Price includes: accommodation and meals, excludes drinks at the bar
Price excludes transportation costs to-and from the ports. Our travel counsellor can advise you and book your transfers
Windseekers need to have a health insurance and a travel insurance
Need to take with you on board: towels
This Journey is covered by the STO Garant guarantee. You can find the conditions for this guarantee scheme on STO Garant’s website (www.sto-garant.nl/en/downloads).
What does it mean?
In short: you do not pay the booking amount to Windseeker but instead into an escrow account. This trust account holds your payment in reserve until your journey’s end. The booking amount is then released to Windseeker on the day after your trip ends. If Windseeker or the Ship should become financially insolvent before the end of your trip, STO Garant will implement the guarantee. The Guarantee Scheme details how you can make a claim under the guarantee in such cases. You can read more about this here.
Phillip (24) France
"Working in a team is a skill I really improved on board during the watches"
Max (17) Germany
"The wind increased and when we took down some sails, I felt the adrenalin rush through my body"
Samantha (18) Australia
"I have learned that despite my small size, I can do anything if I put my mind to it."
You sail on theTecla
One of the most splendid. Experts say this solid, authentic-rigged ship is not only one of the most beautiful herring loggers, but also a very good sailor. She has won several prizes during the Tall Ships Races and Regattas. Tecla …
Finally after two and a half days of motor sailing we are able to carry on under sail alone. A bit later than expected but still very welcome, the ESE-ly winds have filled our sails again. Progress has been good …
Sailing is fun! But so can be sitting on your bum! The professional sailors of Europa have one thing in common, they can't seem to sit still, probably because there is always something to do. From changing sheets to mending …
* Places at request * Board the Tecla in Oban and spend a day or two exploring the Inner Hebrides before entering the Caledonian Canal with its 29 locks. This trip is a combination of sailing and hiking into the …
* Places at request * A voyage along the Inner Hebrides. Filled with beautiful anchorages, sailing and maybe some Scotch whisky. Board the Tecla in Ullapool and set course for the archipelago of Inner Hebrides, all the way south to …
* Places at request * Following in the Vikings’ Footsteps. Board the Tecla in Iceland and slowly trace your way to Scotland along all the island groups in between. Visit the Faroe Islands, Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands and Outer Hebrides. …
* Places at request * From Greenland to Iceland. Step on board the traditional sailing ship Tecla in Nuuk, Greenland’s largest town. Spend several days exploring some of the fjords of south-west and south coast before setting sail to Iceland. …